It’s time to start thinking about what you’re going to bring to the Canada Day or Fourth of July party this year. Whenever it comes to party foods I always gravitate towards dessert. My sweet tooth always tales over my brain and dessert is pretty much the only thing I can think about. It’s fun and always everyones favourite part of the party (especially mine). Dessert doesn’t have to be complicated and have you slaving over an oven for hours or wrestling with the perfect butter cream that won’t melt in the summer heat. This raw raspberry “cheese” cake is a crowd pleaser and extremely easy to make. The best part of all, you don’t have to heat your house during the hot summer months! This frozen treat is the perfect refreshing end to a great summer celebration.
I’m from Canada so for me any Canada Day dessert needs to embrace the colours of our flag in some way. These raspberry “cheese” cake tarts with a little coconut whip or vanilla ice cream represent the flag and Canada perfectly. The raspberries lend a great sweet flavour that pairs perfectly with the slightly tart “cheese” cake base, not to mention the vibrant pinky red colour is beautiful.
Canada Day is one of my favourite summer celebrations. For years my family has gotten together with a couple other families to celebrate our beautiful country – we’ve done everything from cottage celebrations, to baseball games to great road trips. Every celebration ending in a spectacular fire works display. Spending a day celebrating your home and the country that has made you who you are is a wonderful thing and I am so grateful to live in the country that I do!
Now back to the dessert! This show stopping frozen treat will be the star of this years celebrations. It’s a no fuss kind of dessert that is the perfect combination of a pie and an ice cream cake. Make them mini for the perfect two bite dessert or super size them into one large pie as the centre piece to any dessert table. Make sure to serve along side some coconut whip or ice cream and tons of extra berries. Nothings better than a light dessert on a summer evening!
- 16 medjool dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp coconut butter
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 4 tsp water
- Cheese Cake Filling
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until everything is combined and a sticky dough forms.
- Press dough into the base of a greased pie pan or muffin tins.
- Set aside in the fridge to harden.
- Soak cashews in hot water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Add all cheese cake filling ingredients to the base of a blender and blend until silky and smooth.
- Pour filling into the prepared shells and play win the freezer for 3 hours to set.
- When ready to serve remove from the freezer for about five minutes and enjoy!
Happy Canada Day (or Fourth of July)