Nothing beats a rich, moist chocolate cake – especially during the month of chocolate and love. This loaf cake checks all the boxes – decedent, slightly sweet and full of chocolate flavour. Even Bruce would have a hard time saying no. Get it!? Please tell me you’ve watched Matilda – Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!
This cake has a secret ingredient that adds richness and an element of healthy fats.
Did you guess avocado? That’s right – avocado is delicious in chocolate cake and you’ll never be able to taste it. It replaces the butter and helps to keep the cake nice and moist.
Get crazy and take things one step further. Skip the melted chocolate and double down on the chocolate avocado fun by topping this loaf with a fluffy chocolate avocado frosting. Rich creamy frosting top of moist chocolate cake sounds pretty dang delicious to me!
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together boiling water and cocoa powder until well combined. Then whisk in the oil.
- In a food processor puree avocado, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Add the avocado mixture to the other wet ingredients.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add to the wet. Mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into a greases loaf pan and bake approximately 50 minutes, or until the cake is set.
- Let cake cool and top with melted chocolate. Gently warm the chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave.